Mattapan on Wheels
Save the date
8th Annual Mattapan on Wheels Bike-a-Thon
Event Date: Saturday July 21, 2018
Rain Date: Saturday, July 28, 2018
Mattapan on Wheels is a free, youth-led biking event for people of all ages and abilities. Choose from three scenic bike routes that highlight the natural resources of Mattapan and its surrounding communities. Enjoy a day of fitness, fun, and community!
What Makes Mattapan on Wheels Unique
- Youth-Organized & Youth-Led. Our Vigorous Youth (ages 14-17) play an active role in the planning and execution of the group bike rides. They educate all participants about bike safety (including distribution of free bike helmets), the rules of the road, and bike routes that they can ride on their own!
- Grassroots & Growing. Mattapan on Wheels is truly a community event, drawing neighbors and residents from all over Boston. Since 2011, event participation has grown 500%!
- We Provide Bikes & Helmets. Don’t have your own wheels? No problem! When you register for the event you can reserve free rental bikes for the day for you and your family. Helmets are also available for all!
- Mattapan Does Bike. Our event makes visible the growing number of residents in Mattapan who do bike or desire to. The City is recognizing that our residents want to be more active, but need safe bike infrastructure and access to bike share and other amenities to do so.
- The Beauty of Our Neighborhood. Mattapan on Wheels celebrates the natural beauty of our neighborhood and its people. It helps to boost neighbors’ pride in our community and is helping to shift the negative perception that many outsiders get from media coverage.
History of Mattapan on Wheels
In 2009, the Vigorous Youth held a community-wide summit to learn what the area’s youth envisioned for a greener, healthier Mattapan. They called for more youth-focused fitness activities, and as a result, the inaugural Mattapan on Wheels ride was held in 2011.
Through their efforts, the Vigorous Youth are putting Mattapan on the map when it comes to biking. The event has grown from 25 participants in the first year to 150 in 2017. The bike routes have included touring community gardens, the Neponset River trail, the Boston Nature Center, and other green spaces in and around Mattapan.
Although people of all ages are invited to participate, the event remains committed to developing youth leadership by establishing mentoring relationships, giving youth a prominent role in all of the planning and decision making behind the event, and compensating them for their hard work.
What People are Saying
I haven't ridden a bike in over 20 years. It was great to see I can still challenge myself to this new adventure. - Anonymous
I haven't ride a bike for ages. I liked the fact that the group leading the ride was very informative and knowledgeable, making everyone comfortable. - Anonymous
I grew up in Brookline and currently live in Allston. That said, I never had the opportunity to spend time in Mattapan. The bike ride was a great event that allowed me to get involved in a different community that is also passionate about spreading passion for bicycles. - Anonymous
In the News
Project KidSafe Bike Helmet Donations: Mattapan on Wheels - Breakstone, White & Gluck, July 31, 2017
Mattapan on Wheels Bike-a-Thon Hits the Streets This Weekend in Mattapan - Dorchester Reporter, July 21, 2016
Mattapan on Wheels in Pictures - Boston.com, August 15, 2013
2017 Massachusetts State Senate Official Citation, Awarded by Senator Linda Dorcena-Forry
2016 Greenovate Award, Awarded by City of Boston